A Lesson Learned & Options

Monday, July 23, 2012


So after getting the crappy news on Thursday afternoon about the job offer I kind of felt like we had been cheated out of something good. All because of one tiny, little detail. A detail that seriously was irrelevant because this job did not require my husband to drive. Also, he would not have been driving to and from work either. It had all been arranged. So after already having a very draining day, we get hit with that, and it kind of shattered our plans. I found myself wondering "What the hell are we going to do now?" 

Things at home were pretty glooming when I got off of work. My husband blames himself, and anytime he “fails” at something he gets upset. Then I get mad because it’s something we have no control over. We passed up several opportunities due to inconvenience in the past, and now that we’re ready to really move forward we run into some bad luck. Such is life. So instead of getting all upset I let myself have a little 2 minute cry –alone, took a 30 minute nap while my mom took Emery out for a walk, and then went on with our evening. Because really, what could we do?

Now, we’re faced with looking at our options. Currently, my husband can not apply for a license until after November. We can’t afford to wait that long. So, now we have to contact the DMV and a lawyer to see what is required and/or if he qualifies to get at least a hardship license. If he’s eligible, my mother and father have talked to me about helping us out to get that taken care of. Then, they’ll try again. If he’s not, then I have a major decision to make.

At this very same company, some very reliable employees (friends) have told me about some office positions opening up soon, that are exactly what I’m currently doing but with better pay. Now, I like where I’m at now because the people are wonderful and my boss man allows me to rearrange my schedule to fit in school, which not very many employers do. They are very laid back and flexible. They understand that family is important and sometimes emergencies happen. Being here is a blessing and it’s allowed me to continue my education. But, we need money.

This other job would definitely be a pay increase. And even though they too would allow me to go to school, it would have to be on their schedule. Pretty much they say: Here are your hours, if you’re going to school find classes that work around this. That’s all fine and dandy, except I travel two hours round-trip to my school. And they don’t always offer everything I need to take in the evenings or online. Trust me, I’ve looked into it. Why don’t I just transfer earlier than planned to my local university, you ask? Well because I have to have a certain amount of hours to transfer, and it’s BEYOND expensive. I can take two classes at my current college (books included) for the price of one class at my local university (books not included). And, my FAFSA Pell Grant will not cover everything I need. So, I’m trying to get as much done before I transfer in hopes of avoiding having to take out a huge student loan.

So this means that if I do decide to apply for this job, I’ll have to take a break from school. Or, see if a machine position is available on a weekend-only shift. My current schedule for the fall has me at my college twice a week by 3 pm. This interferes with the potential office job hours. But if my husband doesn’t find something by the middle of August, I will probably have to withdrawal from the fall semester anyway because we simply can’t afford the cost of gas to get me to and from, on just my income. I could still take two online classes but I’ll still fall really behind.

Simply put, we put all of our eggs in one basket, and someone came and stomped the shit out of it. The sad part is that we should have known better. We should have double checked the requirements for the job. We should have accepted the out of town job offer to hold us over until this one came up. We should have checked into a hardship license a long time go. We should have known better. But, life doesn’t stop. And right now these are the options we have set in front of us. Hopefully, everything will work out okay. Until then, there isn’t much we can do but wait and see.




No comments:

Post a Comment